Last Firday, I had the pleasure to attend the ending ceremony of TheThingsNetwork Kickstarter project. With ˜300K raised, they got twice the amount they were aiming for. Not bad for such an ambitious project, which doesn’t come from SF but from the heart of Europe.
and a brief introduction on how to set up a node on the TTN.
I also had a chance to talk to Marcus and found out a few important things that contributed to their Kickstarter success. Here is what I remember:
TheThingsNetwork Amsterdam Kickstarter tips
- Before the campaign, Wienke and Johan were talking at events and getting people pumped about it; thus in the day of the campaign they had a big email base they could contact. Crucial!!
- 30% of the funding came in the first 2 days
- The majority of the backers came from NL, but they had a very international crowd in the long tail
- Pledges stayed pretty constant/flat during the campaign, except the last day when they saw a big bump.
- Trick: they told their backers the campaign starts at 2pm and the press 3pm, so when the journalists dropped by, they already had a massive amount of support.
- They transformed interesting acker in study cases: